Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
PANICd#: 2161
Publication date: 03/26/2025 Last visited: 07/12/2006The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse protects one of the most hazardous sections of the Atlantic Coast. Offshore of Cape Hatteras, the Gulf Stream collides with the Virginia Drift, a branch of the Labrador Current from Canada.
46379 Lighthouse Rd
Buxton , NC 27920
Open to the public: Yes
https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvi...
Lat: 35.239819
Lon: -75.532349
Database Summary:
Demographic Rank: 0
History: 1
Stories: 1
Claims: 1
Evidence: 0
Resources: 2
Retrievals: 2662
Vistor Rating: 0.0
Votes: 0
|
Rate this Location <- Get Location Badge Code |
History
History information is some background and history about the location. This is meant to be a basic summary. Below the history records you will find sources in which you can click on to find out more information. There may be multiple history records per location.
Construction of a lighthouse at Cape Hatteras was first authorized in 1794 when Congress recognized the danger posed to Atlantic shipping. However, construction did not begin until 1799. The first lighthouse was lit in October of 1803. Made of sandstone, it was 90 feet tall with a lamp powered by whale oil.
The 1803 lighthouse was unable to effectively warn ships of the dangerous Diamond Shoals because it was too short, the unpainted sandstone blended in with the background, and the signal was not strong enough to reach mariners. Additionally, the tower was poorly constructed and maintained. Frequent complaints were made regarding the lighthouse.
In 1853, following studies made by the Lighthouse Board, it was decided to add 60 feet to the height of the lighthouse, thereby making the tower 150 feet tall. The newly extended tower was then painted red on top of white, making the lighthouse more recognizable during the day. At the same time, the tower was retrofitted with a first-order Fresnel lens, which used refraction as well as reflection to channel the light, resulting in a stronger beam.
By the 1860s, with the need for extensive repairs, Congress decided to appropriate funds for a new lighthouse. The Lighthouse Board prepared plans and specifications, and construction on the new lighthouse began in October of 1868.
Since the lighthouse was built before the present-day pile driver was perfected, an interesting problem immediately arose. The groundwater levels on the Outer Banks are quite high, and therefore, when they began digging out the pit for the lighthouse foundation, it filled with water about 4 feet down. Working with the natural conditions, the foreman, Dexter Stetson, used a “floating foundation” for the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. This meant that layered 6-foot x 12-foot yellow pine timbers were laid crossways in the foundation pit below the water table. Granite plinths (rock layers) were placed on top of the timbers.
The new lighthouse was lit on December 16, 1870. The 1803 lighthouse was demolished in February of 1871. The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse received the famous black and white stripe daymark pattern in 1873. The Lighthouse Board assigned each lighthouse a distinctive paint pattern (daymark) and light sequence (nightmark) to allow mariners to recognize it from all others during the day and night as they sailed along the coast.
The lighthouse is a conical brick structure rising from an octagon-shaped brick and granite base and topped with an iron and glass lantern. It is the tallest brick lighthouse in the United States and measures 198.49 feet from the bottom of the foundation to the top of the pinnacle of the tower. This height was needed to extend the range of the light beam from the tower’s low-lying beach site. The tower’s sturdy construction includes exterior and interior brick walls with interstitial walls resembling the spokes of a wheel. There are 269 steps from the ground to the lens room of the lighthouse.
The Fresnel lens installed in the 1870 lighthouse was powered by kerosene and could be seen approximately 16 miles from the shore. The keeper had to manually rewind the clockwork apparatus each day. The Fresnel lens usually took 12 hours for a complete cycle. When the lamp was electrified in 1934, the manual mechanism was no longer needed. Damaged by vandals, the giant glass Fresnel lens had to be replaced by a modern aero beacon in 1950. Today, electricity provides the rotating power, and a photocell turns the light on and off.
Due to threatening beach erosion, the Bureau of Lighthouses decommissioned the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in 1935. The beacon was then moved to a skeletal steel tower until 1950. On November 9, 1937, the Cape Hatteras Light Station was transferred to the National Park Service. While the park was not operational at this time, the lighthouse and the keepers' quarters became part of the nation’s first National Seashore.
Added by: sdonley on 03/26/2025
DB#:706
Source(s):
https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/chls.htm
Stories
Stories are just that. Stories and personal accounts that have been reported about the location. This section could also contain research notes as well.
A "ghost cat" and connections to the enigmatic "Ghost Ship" Carroll A. Deering are among the rumors that circulate around the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, which is well-known for its height and history. There are also rumors of the lighthouse's haunting. There are numerous witnesses, both tourists and locals, who assert that they have seen a giant black and white cat prowling the grounds of the lighthouse as well as inside the structure. People claim that attempting to pick up the cat causes it to disappear. The lighthouse is connected to the mysterious fate of the schooner Carroll A. Deering, which was discovered abandoned in 1921 with no crew or equipment but with food spread out as if for a dinner.
Added by: sdonley on 03/26/2025 DB#: 1676
Source(s):
Various sources
Paranormal Claims
Here are the paranormal claims for this location. These have been found through Internet research, reports from members, or reports from personal interviews. To add a claim, please contact PANICd.com, and we will review and add your information.
Claim # | Added | Added By | Claim |
3664 | 03/26/2025 | sdonley | The ghost of a large black and white cat appears, then disappears when visitors try to pet it or pick it up. |
Additional Resources
This is a collection of Internet resources for this location. This section will house links to other websites that contain information related to history, claims, investigations, or even the location's website.
Haunting On The Outer Banks Of NC | Lighthouses & Hotels
Added: 03/26/2025 By: sdonley |
Explore the paranormal on the Outer Banks and learn about the Kill Devil Hills, the Black Pelican Restaurant and plenty of creepy lighthouse hauntings. |
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse: A Beacon Worth Preserving · National Parks Conservation Association
Added: 03/26/2025 By: sdonley |
NPCA showcases Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, which the National Park Service moved inland in 1999 to avoid coastal erosion. It is now getting a $19.2 million renovation. |